Applying a 360-degree approach to property allocations
- Applying a universal approach to property allocations can offer investors an opportunity to achieve superior risk-adjusted returns throughout the property occupancy cycle. The unique characteristics of the real estate asset class, combined with visibility on the underlying cash-flow streams, is what enables real estate investors with a deep understanding of the property cycle to implement a 360-degree approach to their property strategy and portfolio allocations.
- In practice, applying a 360-degree approach to property investment consists of looking at the four-quadrant universe in a given market or region to assess the underlying risk-reward characteristics, as well as market pricing for the entirety of the capital stack and various investment vehicles.
- Traditionally, each quadrant has been priced in isolation with specific capital sources driving pricing based upon regulatory constraints. A number of market participants price a given property investment relative to other asset classes rather than comparing debt and equity pricing on the same underlying property or, if applicable, to comparable quality listed property company stocks or bonds. The result is pricing that is often disconnected with the inherent risk-reward relationship up and down the property capital stack and across instruments.
- By combining a more universal approach to property portfolio construction through the cycle and constantly monitoring relative value pricing across the four-quadrant property-investment universe, property investors could optimize their overall risk-adjusted return profile. Of course, this approach is anchored on a manager’s ability to “read the cycle” and find relative value trades up and down the capital stack and across the various investment instruments but, ultimately, it could be a real alpha generator.
- In addition to portfolio construction, this universal approach to property could be used to create blended real estate products that seek to circumvent some of the inherent difficulties in building property allocations while remaining firmly rooted in offering underlying property-level investment performance.
The unique characteristics of property combined with visibility on the underlying cash-flow streams,
enables real estate investors with a deep understanding of the property cycle fundamentals to
implement a 360-degree approach to their investment strategy and portfolio allocations. Applying this
universal approach to property allocations can, we believe offer investors an opportunity to achieve
superior risk-adjusted returns throughout the property occupancy cycle. In addition to superior risk adjusted returns, a 360-degree investment approach can yield portfolio characteristics geared towards
specific attributes, such as inflation linkage and certainty of income driven by recurring cash flows as
well as a shift away from benchmarks towards a more total return/IRR driven portfolio strategy.
This article shall not be deemed to constitute investment advice and/or tax, accounting, regulatory, legal or other advice and it should not be relied upon as the basis for a decision to enter into a transaction or as the basis for an investment decision. This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute, on AXA IM’s part, an offer to buy or sell, solicitation or investment advice. The services are not being offered in the U.S. or to U.S. persons. The information set forth herein does not purport to be complete and is subject to change without notice. This article does not take into account the recipient’s objectives, financial situation or needs.
Analysis and conclusions express the views of AXA IM – Real Assets and may be subject to change without notice. All information, analysis and conclusions herein present AXA IM – Real Assets’ current knowledge and market estimation at the time of its production. Nevertheless it can come to unintended erroneous statements or presentations and the information may change at any time without previous announcements and/or notices to the recipient of this article. Thus, a liability or guarantee for the up-to-datedness, correctness and completeness of the allocated information, estimation and opinion cannot be assumed. Furthermore, due to the subjective nature of these analysis and opinions, these data, projections, forecasts, anticipations, hypothesis and/or opinions are not necessary used or followed by AXA IM’s management teams or its affiliates, who may act based on their own opinions and as independent departments within AXA IM.
Any hypothetical illustrations, forecasts and estimates contained in this article are forward looking statements and are based upon assumptions. Hypothetical illustrations are only an estimate and AXA IM – Real Assets assumes no duty to update any forward looking statement. This article also contains historical market data; however, historical market trends are not reliable indicators of future market behaviour.
Although some information has been provided by AXA IM – Real Assets, the information is based on information furnished by third parties the accuracy and completeness of which has not been verified by AXA IM – Real Assets. While such sources are believed to be reliable and accurate, none of AXA IM – Real Assets or its respective affiliates, directors, officers, employees, partners, members or shareholders assumes any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of such information.
Prospective investors must understand, investigate, evaluate and assume the risks of an investment. Certain risks cannot or may not be mitigated and are outside of a manager’s control.
There can be no guarantee that any investment strategy presented will be implemented or ultimately be successful.
AXA IM – Real Assets makes no representation or warranty (express or implied) of any nature nor is responsible or liable in any way with respect to the truthfulness, completeness or accuracy of any information, projection, representation or warranty (express or implied) in, or omission from, this information.
By accepting this information, the recipient of this document agrees that it will use the information only to evaluate its potential interest in the strategies described herein and for no other purpose and will not divulge any such information to any other party.
© 2019 AXA Real Estate Investment Managers and its Affiliated Companies. All rights reserved.