Biodiversity crisis: Why agriculture threatens biodiversity, and how responsible investors can respond
- Biodiversity plays a crucial role in protecting our health. It is only by understanding and respecting its limits that we will maintain the ecosystems that ensure our survival.
- Human activity is a growing threat to our life support system and it is urgent that we strike a better balance. We see the COVID-19 pandemic as a wake-up call.
- Agricultural production is dependent on the good functioning of ecosystems, but its intensification has led to a sharp degradation of biodiversity – the source of all variety in our crops and livestock. Intensive agriculture and related deforestation can also contribute to the spread of diseases.
- Soybean production has more than tripled in the past 30 years and it illustrates well how the intensification of agriculture and global commodity trading can create threats for nature.
- Many companies in the agricultural value chain may directly or indirectly benefit from the capital we provide to the market, but we have identified two particular types of companies to engage with: global traders and consumer facing companies. We consider they can influence many other players in the value chain.
- From traders to consumer facing companies, corporates must promote responsible agricultural practices and provide stakeholders with the necessary transparency from field to shelf.
- This research piece follows on from a primer on the broader topic we published last year. The piece can be found here.
This communication is intended for professional clients only and is not for onward distribution to retail clients. Circulation must be restricted accordingly. Past performance is not a guide to current or future performance. The value of investments, and the income from them, can fall as well
as rise and investors may not get back the amount originally invested.
This document is for informational purposes only and does not constitute, on the part of AXA Investment Managers (AXA IM), an offer to buy or sell, a solicitation or investment advice. It has been established on the basis of data, projections, forecasts, anticipations and hypotheses which are subjective. Its analysis and conclusions are the expression of an opinion, based on available data at a specific date. Due to the subjective and indicative aspects of these analyses, we draw your attention to the fact that the effective evolution of the economic variables and values of the financial markets could be significantly different from the indications (projections, forecasts, anticipations and hypotheses) which are communicated in this document. Furthermore, owing to the subjective nature of these analyses and opinions, the data, projections, forecasts, anticipations, hypotheses and/or opinions are not necessarily used or followed by AXA IM’s management teams or its affiliates who may act based on their own opinions and as independent departments within the Company. All information in this document is established on data made public by official providers of economic and market statistics. Owing to its simplification, the information given in this document can only be viewed as subjective. AXA IM disclaims any and all liability relating to a decision based on or for reliance on this document. This document may be modified without notice and AXA IM may, but shall not be obligated to, update or otherwise revise this document. By accepting this information, the recipient of this document agrees that it will use the information only to evaluate its potential interest in the strategies described herein and for no other purpose and will not divulge any such information to any other party. © 2018 AXA Investment Managers. Any reproduction of this information, in whole or in part, is unless otherwise authorised by AXA IM, prohibited. Telephone calls may be recorded for quality assurance purposes. Design & Production : Internal Design Agency (IDA) | 18-UK-010606 | 07/2020 | Photo Credit Getty Images
AXA Investment Managers Tour Majunga - La Défense 9 - 6, place de la Pyramide 92800 Puteaux - France
Société de gestion de portefeuille titulaire de l’agrément AMF n°GP 92-08 en date du 7 avril 1992
S.A. au capital de 1 384 380 euros, 353 534 506 RCS Nanterre.